If you have fussy pants kids like me, you’re going to love this one. It’s a bit of a “mum hack” – not even a recipe really. It’s something I discovered completely by accident when we ran out of eggs and breadcrumbs but everyone was starving for a quick easy dinner.
It resulted in the best damn chicken nuggets I’ve ever tasted. Seriously – we were fighting over the last one!
What you need:
4 x chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into “nugget” sized pieces
4 cups of cornflakes
herb & spice mix*
4 tbsp sour cream
1 tbsp your fave mayo (I used Kewpie)
Olive oil & sesame oil
- Mix sour cream and mayo together, set aside.
- Blitz cornflakes and herb & spices together until it forms bread crumb consistency.
- Coat chicken pieces in the sour cream and mayo and then coat in cornflake crumbs.
- Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper, drizzle with olive oil and a dash of sesame oil and bake in a moderate oven until golden brown.
You can basically use this recipe for any crumbed chicken in place of eggs. It makes a mean schnitzel too! And we’ve even done popcorn chicken! Yum!
I’ve also made them with a few variations too, just to mix things up!
- add sesame seeds in with the cornflake crumbs for a different flavour
- use quinoa flakes and almond meal instead of cornflake crumbs
- the herb & spice mix we used in the nuggets is below – we used a few spoonfuls to taste:
- 1 tsp. ground oregano.
- 1 tsp. chili powder.
- 1 tsp. ground sage.
- 1 tsp. dried basil.
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram.
- 1 tsp. pepper.
- 2 tsp. celery salt.
- 1 tsp. paprika.
- cayenne pepper to taste
Got a great recipe? Come and share it with other Mums in our Facebook Group – South West Mum Life.